Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German arrangement in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 on which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon adopted and the Township was arranged in 1858 covering 81 square a long way. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph purchased its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its individuals, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a consumer well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also issues and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which is currently the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the first check here 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. here The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing enough time to milk cows so additional time could be allocated to crops and pet animal care. Immediately after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the warfare ended people were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at least for a while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so many here of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. With all the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to keep together as part of your. Through a federal offer, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially joined the united states into World Conflict 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph acquired a inhabitants of around 1050, shedding 10 heroic military to the conflict. The community remained strong and ongoing to improve the Community, adding a water tower in 1949, plus a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its water supply, and persists to do so.